Friday, January 27, 2012

Crocodile Pie and Contractions ...OH MY!!!

Last year I bought Cara's wonderful and AWESOME packet Crazy for Contractions. This year I made the Contraction Crocodile. I also made some activities to go along with her packet because I LOVE to do lessons with songs and food! =)

To start off, we learned "The Contraction Crocodile Crunch".


 I had the kiddos make 2 circles. The outer circle each had a card that had the 2 words that make a contraction. The kiddos in the middle had the matching contraction card. I would call a kiddo in the outer circle to come hold the "real" Mr. CC (Mr. Contraction Crocodile). They would show their card and as we sang the song they would "pop" in and out of his tummy (the middle circle). Finally, when the verse says, "And he spits a contraction out", the kiddo with the matching contraction card hops out of the middle. We continued to do this so each child had a turn starting off in the middle and a turn in starting off in the outer circle. It is just like the "Hokey Pokey" but the kiddos with the words and contractions pop in and out.

Here is the "real" Contraction Crocodile!
The little green crocodile was on top of the Crocodile Pie

Here are the cards we used to sing "The Contraction Crocodile Crunch"

I know I am not doing a very good job explaining this but it is Friday and I am brain dead with a sore throat and headache. I also made a recording sheet so we can later play this in a literacy center.

After we returned from lunch, this is what my kiddos saw on my table.


On the outside of the balloon I had written a contraction and inside the balloon were two pieces of paper containing the words that make that contraction. For example, 1 balloon had "don't" written on it. Inside the balloon were 2 small pieces of paper containing the words "do" and "not". Since we had talked about contractions are made by letters popping out, we popped our balloons to see how each contraction had started.

I knew this would be a VERY DIFFICULT activity for me to endure. First, it would be loud and I HATE the sound of a balloon popping. Second, I knew this would excite my kiddos beyond control and I demand encourage my kiddos to have fun but still be calm.

HOLY MOLY!!!! They were laughing hysterically and I was too watching some of them try and body slam their tiny booty onto the chair and have the balloon bounce from under them. Some balloons finally had to be stabbed with scissors. While we were doing this, the kiddos had their marker boards and they were writing the 2 words that made the contraction written on the balloon. I found the wonderful idea here on You Can Make the Sunshine Anytime. Malarie has great pictures to show you how to do this.

After the bottom balloon pop boot scoot boogie, we made our own "Contraction Crocodiles". They may not be as cute as I know some of you could make them but being a person who cannot cut straight with the paper cutter, I was pretty proud of myself for making a template.

We wrote a contraction on his belly and put a noodle for the apostrophe...we called it a crocodile tooth. =)




As you can tell, I gave them no pattern for the feet. This caused LOTS of snot, tears, crawling away encouragement but I love how different they are!

Finally, we read and sang "Crocodile Pie". This is an adapted version (by me!) of the song "Alligator Pie". We sang it ...although towards the end the words don't really match the tune that well but my kiddos didn't care and either did I! We found and highlighted all of the contractions and then we ate Crocodile Pie...which was really Key Lime Pie with one of those crocodiles that grow when you put the in water on top. They LOVED it.


I hope you love these activities as much as my kiddos and I did! I am BIG {PUFFY} Heart loving how stinkin' cute their contraction crocodiles turned out!

As always, I would be blessed if you leave me a heart note!

Question of the Day:
What does technology look like at your school? Do you have a Smartboard? Would you be interested in me sharing files I have made (if I can figure out how to do that!!!)?

Blessings from my heart to yours!

82 heart notes:

Kelley Cirrito said...

Love the contractions! Those are super cute activities! I don't have a smart board. We have an Emlo and 6 student computers in my room and that's it. I know pretty sad right?

Unknown said...

Those are so cute!

I have no smartboard, I wish I had one! If i did, Id be ALL OVER your activities though!

I only have 1 student computer and its currently not functioning.

Journey of a Substitute Teacher (Ms. T) said...

Oh I love it all Heather!

Around here there's a sprinkling of Smartboards. Every class has an ELMO though. And most classes have laptops for kiddos.

A few classes have ipads. Depends on the school or district that I'm at (that I sub for).
Journey of a Substitute Teacher

Camille said...

Heather,
As always I love your ideas! Is that a real crocodile sitting on your table? (I mean real / dead / stuffed). Where did you get it????

I just got a Smartboard and would LOVE to see your activities. I am using things from the Smart Exchange. I have a lot to learn and have not made any of my own materials yet. I also have seven pcs in my room for student use. (Old, but they work.)
Camille
An Open Door

Casey Wiggins said...

Love this! My teacher friends sometimes think I'm crazy but I like to create a "character" for everything! I do have a SmartBoard, sometimes I feel guilty because while I do use it once a day at least it is only BECAUSE I feel guilty that so many want one and don't have one. I am trying to use it more and more!

Ashley said...

Smartboards seem to be all the rage these days. At my old school, we had NO technology. I had a teacher computer and that was it. We had chalkboards, no white boards, and as far as an Elmo, we had the old fashioned projector. You know the kind where you have to use the clear sheets and write with Vis-A-Vis.

And I am in love with all of these activities, especially the balloon popping one and the crocodile tooth as the apostrophe. You are so creative!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Unknown said...

I adapted the Alligator Pie song last year to Crocodile Pie when we studied Ancient Egypt, too. (except, mine didn't have the contraction part instead it was about pyramids and such.) It worked out great and the kids loved it! They also like anything involving food...
Yours are very cute! We may have to do it twice :)

Learning with Mrs. Parker said...

I love the contraction song.
I wish I had a Smartboard. One day....just not sure when.
I love all the thought you bring to each lesson. When do you have time to sleep?

Traci Clausen said...

This is ALL beyond cute!!!! We've been working on contractions like crazy lately.

I feel guilty because I have an ENO board but rarely use it. I don't see it as much better than just using my doc cam, projector and white board. I KNOW I'm missing something... but I haven't figured out a truly effective way to use it and the one pen that I have to work with it. I would LOVE to hear some more ideas for it. PLEASE SHARE. :D
Dragonflies in First

McNuttS said...

Super Cute! I tagged you in a post, come and see!
http://beanutwithmrsmcnutt.blogspot.com/

~Steph

Sheri said...

LOVE this post Heather!!! The crocodiles are SO cute!!!
I have a smart board and LOVE it!!! Use it for everything:)
Sheri
1st Grade ROCKS!!!

Lisa L. said...

Love love love this! It is so cute and fun! Yes, I do have a smartboard and would love to see your ideas! I use it for just about everything!!!!!

Jennifer said...

I great big puffy heart love the crocs and the balloon idea! Gotta do it! Thanks for sharing it!
Rowdy in First Grade

Jess said...

I LOVE the little crocodiles! I can't (ooh a contraction!) wait to do this with my class! Thank you so much for sharing!

I would love to see your ideas with your smartboard. I had one last year and I loved it. I never did figure out how to upload any of the flipcharts onto my blog though. I think it would be a great resources for anyone because even if you don't have a smartboard you can still project the same activities and have a student sit at the computer to manipulate what's on the screen!
Rambling About Reading

Linda said...

How stinking cute! Love the activities!

All our classrooms just got smart boards. They are a great tool and the kids love them.

Kiah said...

This is so cute! Thank you for sharing! I have a Smartboard I LOVE, I would be VERY interested in seeing your lessons, too!!

Run Teacher Run! said...

Love your songs! Also, we have a combo of SmartBoards and Mimios. It's hard because they use different formats, so we can't share lessons very easily. I'd love to see what you do though!


Mary Beth
Run Teacher, Run

Kristin said...

This looks like so much fun!!! :) I love songs, fun crocodiles, and food! :)
Technology? Huh? I have one telephone, a TV, two ancient desktops, and good ole TODD (the overhead).
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Unknown said...

Wow! I love your crocodiles. They are so cute!

We have a portable smart board in my school (for grades one and two) and the upper grades each have one installed in their class. I will actually be attending a workshop in a couple of weeks where I will be creating some smart board activities. Can't wait to share them ;)

✿Valerie
Grow Up Learning

Barbara said...

That's an amazing lesson plan. Your kids are never going to forget contractions!

Barbara
Grade ONEderful

A. Reed said...

Girlfriend...love it! Thanks for these fabulous resources and ideas. I have Cara's unit, too, and love it!!

Holly said...

Oh my goodness - these activities made me smile!!!!!

I went from 0 to 60 this year in terms of technology. I started the year with an overhead and now have an Elmo, a projector and a Mimio {interactive whiteboard}. My understanding is that I can use Smart files on my Mimio...I just need to find out if that's true - and if so, how I do it!

Oh - and you've been tagged. Come on over to my blog to see what I mean!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Margaret said...

Hi Heather!
Thanks for checking out my blog. It really is a small world. I just pinned this activity earlier today! How funny is that?!

Thanks again!
Margaret
Kinder Journey

Kelly said...

Wow! You have such a huge variety of hands-on lessons!!! You seem like an amazing teacher. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

Kelly
"Kindergarten Kel

Anonymous said...

TOTALLy cute ideas and sooooo inviting! Many thanks for sharing :). Allison

Selina said...

Heather,

Love your blog! Teaching with food and songs is what I love to do, too. I'm your newest follower.

Selina
Classroom Magic

Pocketful of Littles said...

Omg! How have I never heard about your blog? I have just spent the last hour looking through the your blog and I am truly amazed. I just became your newest follower!

I would love for your to vist my little or blog, its not as amazing as yours though

Ms. Patterson
Pocket Full of Kinders

Alane Barker said...

Hey Heather! Love your ideas! Super cute blog, too! We have 2 computers in my classroom and a smartboard. Would love to share!

http://stcfirstgradesmarties.blogspot.com/

Kat said...

Wow Heather, you obviously have a lot of energy and enthusiasm for your class! They are lucky to have you!

I don't have a Smartboard, and my desktop computer is eleven years old. No computers for the kids either, though there is a lab (we don't go). This, in the heart of Silicon Valley! Go figure.

*hugs* Kat

~DeAnne~ said...

YOU, Heather, are AWESOME!! I love your activities. Thanks so much for sharing....Ohh, and by the way "Tag, you're it!" Check it out:
http://firstgradeandfabulous.blogspot.com/2012/01/bloggy-tag-and-few-freebies.html

ღDeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

Ashley said...

Hi Heather! I want to tag you too, but it looks like DeAnne beat me to it. I have picked you to be next in a game of tag going around in blogland. Head over to my blog to check it out!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Ashley said...

Hi Heather! I want to tag you too, but it looks like DeAnne beat me to it. I have picked you to be next in a game of tag going around in blogland. Head over to my blog to check it out!

Ashley
Live2Learn

Primary Paradise said...

Adorable activities. I have a document camera and projector. I don't have a smartboard, but would love one. Maybe one day!
Tammy
primaryparadise.blogspot

Holly said...

It's sort of too soon for me to tell what I think of Bridges. It seems to align well with the Common Core - so for that, I'm thankful we adopted it last year. A lot of neighboring districts are freaking out right now because Common Core is so different from what they are using. There are a lot of holes, but you get that with any program. I still haven't figured out how to document their learning better...I feel like I don't really know who they are in terms of their math skills. Do you find that? Have you found a way around that? I like how it's game-based, but do find I have to really micromanage in order to make sure my kids are playing the games the right way. I also am having a really hard time differentiating for my higher students...because much of the stuff is too easy for them. It moves slowly. Do you do Number Corner? The activities that go along with that are WAY TOO long...if I did the Number Corner {calendar activities} Number Corner lessons, AND Bridges...I'd be spending the better part of my day on math. It's just too much - so I'm still trying to find out which lessons will give me the most bang for my buck.

Sorry for the long post - I should have sent an email...HA!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

Natalie said...

Wow, those crocodiles are adorable! Thanks for the awesome ideas!!!

I tagged you for a little fun...hop on over and see!

Natalie
Teachery Tidbits

Pam said...

Thanks for the great contraction activities! I can't wait to try them with my first graders :-)

Teaching 123's & ABC's said...

I just awarded you the Favorite Follower award. Hop on over to my blog to get your award!

Thank you for always being so kind and sharing your wonderful class!

Jeannie

Trish said...

AMAZING!! I love your blog! This contraction activity is fabulous!
I do have a Smartboard and I would love for you to share files if you could!
I am sending you a great big heart hug over the internet! Thanks for all you do!

SCTiger said...

These are great! Thank you!

You have been tagged for Bloggy Tag! I enjoy your blog, and thought you might want to participate!
http://literacyminute.blogspot.com/2012/01/bloggy-tag.html

Sandy said...

I tagged you too! Come on by my blog and check it out! :) Have a great week!!!

Whitley's Wonders said...

cute contraction activity! I have a Smartboard in my classroom and am always looking for new games and activities to try out! I would love it if you were able to share the ones you have made.

Katherine said...

I just love your blog! I "tagged" you in bloggy tag! :) Stop by my page to see what it's all about!

Kelli said...

love the song!!!

Kelli
http://talesfromatravelingteacher.blogspot.com/

Karen Day said...

Hi Heather! It's Karen from a little kinder... thank you for thinking about me. I go back to the dr on Wednesday afternoon and to teaching Wednesday morning. I can't wait to get back into my room!! I miss my babies!

To answer your question of the day:
We do have smartboards, however most of the projectors have been stolen through break ins. It's VERY frustrating. I love having the kids work on the smartboard as a station, but no projector means no smartboard.

I also wanted to say that I LOVE the quote that you have at the top of your blog!!

Unknown said...

Heather, you are the sweetest ever! A little birdie must have put a note in your ear that I was having a bad day and then I read your sweet note and my smile returned! :) Thank you for your uplifting note! :) And I LOVE your croc! So cute! This was a great post! :)
Cheryl

absees123s said...

These are precious and I want to thank you for the freebie!! Your crocs are sooooo cute! They look fabulous!!

absees123s said...

I have an ActivBoard, 2 student computers, Document Camera, Tuner (DVD/VHS player) that connects to the board,and 2 ipads (grant). I don't think the AB flipcharts work on the smartboard, but I'll share anything I have! We have an exchange in our county that we share with one another.

Unknown said...

Those Crocodiles are so cute! I love the noodle for the apostrophe. How clever! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I am a new follower on your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I used the Contraction Crocodile Crunch song today! It was great! I just happened to have a wooden crocodile that a student gave me as a Christmas gift , so we used it. I posted a video of us singing. However, I realized that I did not show the poster, but I did link back to your blog. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Unknown said...

Heather,
I am leaving this note here because I didn't want to ruin your numbers with the contest - But your TpT link on your contest is going to the wrong store! (It is taking it to a store that has no products instead of your Heather's Heart store) Just thought I'd let you know! :)
Cheryl
cener(at)sbcglobal(dot)net
Crayons and Curls

Gwen said...

Contractions are exactly what we are working on! Thank you for sharing!
Technology = smartboard, Elmo, laptop.

Donna said...

Such a great idea and cute crocodile!! I have a smartboard, and just love it, so hope you can figure out how to share your files. thanks a lot.

dl.autet@hotmail.ca

Lauren Blackmon said...

I am doing the croc contractions this week. My kids LOVE the song. So cute.
-Lauren
www.weeklyhiv.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!

Kara Smith said...

Love the macaroni idea for the apostrophe! Thank you for the great ideas! AND thank you for sharing them!

Hilary Lewis said...

I love your cute ideas and I love your blog. I am so doing this stuff! You have to come check out the song one of my kiddos wrote since I had been singing your Crocodile Crunch song! Such a hoot! I'm linking to your blog tomorrow with my post.

Thanks for sharing! You ROCK!

Hilary
Rockin' Teacher Materials

laneymc said...

Heather,
these are just perfect. you're so good to share them. thanks so much. I've been doing contractions with the kids in my 4th and 5th classes and these are just much more child friendly and cuter than what I have - I'll be saving them and using them this week.

Nicole said...

Heather, you are fantastic and super creative! Thank you for sharing so many of your games and ideas! I appreciate your generosity!! I pinned several of your games on Pinterest :)

Jessica McDurmon said...

Thank you so much for the great idea!! The kiddos that I am a long term sub for were having a hard time with contractions and I think this will be a great activity for them!! You rock!!! :)

Unknown said...

My 4th grade daughter is going over this in L.A. right now so it will benefit both kids! I love this! We are going to have a great time with it. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

thermoluminescence dating artifact trackback uri closed http://loveepicentre.com/faq.php louisiana t lynn 38 dating site

Table Talk with C and C said...

I love this! I can't wait to try this with my students! What a fun way to introduce contractions!

I am your newest follower!

i would love it if you swung by!

http://tabletalkwithcandc.blogspot.com

-Caitlin