Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Morning Greeter

This is one of my favorite School Family Jobs and it is just too stinkin' cute!  As my kiddos come to the room in the morning they stop at the door.  The child who is the greeter comes to stand at the door and puts on the greeter apron.  He or she then says "Good Morning _______" and the child being greeted answers back, "Good Morning ________".  Then the greeter asks, "How are you today?" and the child being greeted answers and asks the greeter how are they doing. The greeter then asks, "How would you like to be greeted?"  We usually have 3 choices of ways to be greeted and you could do more.  I always try and have a non-touching one for the kiddos who don't like to be touched and one way is ALWAYS a hug.

I have at my door the sentence stems for the kiddos to remember what they need to say(This is great for your ELL kiddos and all kiddos because it is great practice learning to speak in complete sentences).  Underneath that are the pictures that represent the different ways to be greeted.  I went to Hobby Lobby and picked out lots of the cute wooden shapes.  Later on in the year the class can come up with a way to greet that represents that shape.

Here is a picture of some of the shapes we use and love.

If you don't want to buy the shapes you can use these icons.

frog greeting: children jump up and down and say "Have a hop, hop, hoppy day!'
heart greeting: a hug
five greeting: high five
butterfly greeting: butterfly handshake, lock thumbs, extend fingers like butterfly wings, flutter up and down
butterfly graphic by Scrappin Doodles

greeter reminders

Here is how it looks by my door.
Keep checking back for more posts like this about Conscious Discipline! I would love a heart note letting me know what you think.

6 heart notes:

Ashley Nichols said...

Oh my gosh!! This si adorable!! Love !! This might be something I need to do!!!

Holly said...

What a great idea! I had heard of this type of thing, but love the idea of having the kids be the greeter! I have this book, but have not yet read it all yet. Thanks again!
Holly
www.joyofkindergarten.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I do morning greeter too, but don't have the signs, so thank you for sharing! Love them! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Anonymous said...

Who is the author of Conscious Discipline? Your comments about the book have been wonderful. Send me this information.

Jill said...

Just found this old post and I love it! I really want to incorporate this next year! :)

Marvelous Multiagers!

Mrs. S. said...

Wow! What a positive way to start the day ~ ♥love, ♥love, ♥love this!

✿.。.☆♪♫*❤*Melly*❤*☆.。.✿

Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!